Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Week Two of Finals

So, week two of finals consisted of three finals. I had Restorative III, Oral Surgery and Microbiology. The stress level for this week was about the same as the previous week mainly due to the fact that I didn't do as well on my Oral Surgery midterm, so I needed a relatively high grade on the final to make sure I reached the level I wanted to. The other finals were pretty much bagged up before they started. I needed really lower scores than normal to end up where I wanted to be, so the stress wasn't there.

The tests ran Tues (restorative), Wed (micro), and Thurs (oral surgery). Restorative was relatively easy, due to, in large part, the fact that we were being tested on information that had been put to use every day in pre-clinic. How can you do well on your practicals if you don't know how deep to make your preps, the materials needed for each product, time requirements, etc.

Micro wasn't too bad either. There was a ton of information on this test. Basically, in years past, there were 5 tests in the micro class. But this year and last (I think), they decided to combine the last two tests into one test. Now, even though there was a lot of information on this test, most of it was actually dental related (what a novel concept, I know. You mean we will actually cover dental topics in dental school. Wow), so it was interesting enough that you were motivated to remember it the first time you read through all the information.

Then was Oral Surgery. I was hoping to pull a B after my low midterm score (67%). Now, there wasn't a ton of information, but knowing that you had to nail the final to get where you wanted to go was stressful. The good news was that the information was very interesting as well. The final covered complications, facial spaces, and infectious diseases. I spent the most time studying for this final. The good news is that unlike most of the other classes I had to spend a significant amount of time on, this information will actually be relevant to me 10 years from now. That made studying for this test a little easier. But just a little.

So, finals came and went, and I am pleased to say that I continue to improve my gpa with every semester and cannot believe that I now have 3 of the 4 horrible semesters over. Just a couple more months til I get to play dentist!

No comments: