Thursday, October 18, 2007

October 18, 2007 - First post, oral surgery ce thoughts

So, here it is, October 18, 2006 and I am sitting in my living room after mid-terms have finally ended, playing NCAA football (killing the University of Utah, while I am BYU), typing this blog. What a crazy last two weeks. I have endured a ton of tests, and am still standing. I may be absolutely exhausted, but I am done. I now have the weekend to kick back and relax, and as long as my kid doesn't show up, I do believe that I will have quite the good time.

I am sitting here wondering why i am doing this blog. I can think of a couple of reasons: 1 - I am bored. 2 - This can kinda be like a journal type thingy. 3 - The wife doesn't want me blogging on the family website, that is for updates on the family, not my comments on life that nobody cares about. 4 - I want a place where most people don't know who I am, and I can say what I want to say. 5 - I am curious to see if anybody out there actually will read this, and if they do, will they come back? 6 - Well, that ends my list for now.

As I said, I am sitting here playing good old PlayStation 2, as BYU. There is 2:34 remaining in the second quarter, and I have just taken a commanding lead, 42-14. Maybe I have the settings set a little too low for my skill set? I think so too.

This weekend I am starting an 8 month dental implant course here in Philadelphia. I am a little worried/apprehensive and completely excited about it at the same time. I am only in my second year in dental school, and I have only taken 1/2 semester of oral surgery. I am completely confident in my ability to learn and apply the techniques being taught. I, in my own opinion, though my practical grades do back me up, am very, very good at clinical dentistry. I am just a student, and I am still learning, but the procedures I have learned, well I do excel in them. I am worried about how I will be treated by the other doctors attending this course.

It is out of the norm for a dental student to really get into continuing education, especially one with such a strong surgical focus. Implants are a tool in dentistry that really hasn't hit mainstream general practices yet, and even those doctors who do learn to do them, usually don't. Just from talking to other students about taking this course, they almost seem mad that I would try to do this. Oh well.

So, I am little apprehensive about the course.

BYU-Utah update: Halftime BYU 56, Utah 14.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi - not many dental blogs around ... Hows Implants treating you? Which school are u in btw?